Tuesday, July 07, 2009

One Can Never Forget...


11 September 2005(moved from Yah00!360)- I was still in St. Vincents Hospital when the unmentionable happened one fine September morning. My buddy and I were having a cup of coffee looking down on the street looking west onto Greenwich Street from the 4th floor lab windows when Bob Barclay came in with the news. First, disbelief, as coffee time in the morning was ritually precious and was unperturbable. When someone else came with identical news a few minutes apart, we looked at each other and I instantly knew life as I knew it was going to be different from now on.

Everything still seems like a blur when I recall those days but everytime I see the twin towers of light, the image is so powerful it makes things perfectly clear for a few brief moments. Then the blur of life goes on. The twin towers used to be a beacon, of sorts, as they were the landmarks I saw as I walk to work everyday. Now the lights seem like a similar reminder that as I move from Chelsea to the Heights and across the river into Brooklyn I will never be too far from the memory of the day when everything changed .....forever.

No comments: